Steps to apply for Canada child Benifit(CCB) as a New comer

Tax credits and benefits for individuals

Step by step How can a new comer to canada apply for Canada child benefit(CCB) for first time

If you are a newcomer to Canada and have children under the age of 18, you may be eligible to apply for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). Here are the steps to apply for the CCB for the first time:

  1. Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN): To be eligible for the CCB, you need to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you do not have a SIN, you can apply for one in-person at a Service Canada office.

  2. File a tax return: You must file a tax return with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to be eligible for the CCB. Even if you did not have any income in the previous year, you must still file a tax return to be considered for the benefit. You can file your tax return online using NETFILE or by mail.

  3. Apply for the CCB: You can apply for the CCB online using the CRA’s My Account service or by mailing a completed Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application, to the CRA. If you choose to apply online, you will need to create a My Account profile and provide personal information, including your Social Insurance Number, to verify your identity. If you prefer to apply by mail, you can download the form from the CRA website or request a paper copy by calling the CRA’s toll-free number at 1-800-387-1193.

  4. Provide supporting documents: When you apply for the CCB, you may be asked to provide supporting documents, such as proof of your child’s birth or adoption, to verify your eligibility for the benefit.

  5. Wait for processing: Once you have applied for the CCB, the CRA will review your application and determine your eligibility for the benefit. If you are eligible, you will receive your first payment within eight weeks of your application being processed.

  6. Keep your information up to date: It is important to keep your personal and financial information up to date with the CRA to ensure that you continue to receive the correct amount of the CCB. You can update your information online using the My Account service or by contacting the CRA directly.

  7. Contact an accountant tohelp you if you are not comfortable applying as they ask questions to determine eligibality and as  a new comer you might not know how the answer given by you will affect the eligible amount.  its better to consult a professional to help you as a new commer.

  1. Please leave a comment if you found it useful

  2. For all you real estate needs do contact me at or call 416-826-5859

  3. Forr all your accounting needs visit us at or call 647-825-4243

Tags :

Tax credits and benefits for individuals

Share This :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *